One of the Strategic Objectives defined in the Metropolis Strategic Plan to establish a Missions and Evangelism Ministry in every parish. The benefits of a Missions and Evangelism Ministry are increases in membership, parish and personal spiritual maturity, Stewardship and an overall mission mindset in the parish.
These are some of the basic components a Missions and Evangelism Ministry can work to develop in the parish:
- Welcome Ministry – Greeting visitors in the narthex, providing them with the appropriate materials for the worship service, connecting them to others who can help them navigate
the service, inviting them to participate in the fellowship hour after the service, and following up with them after their visit.
- In-reach and Adult Education – These are activities that provide parishioners with opportunities to learn more about their faith, including Bible and Book Studies, faith classes, retreats, challenges for personal spiritual growth, reading, prayer, etc.
- Increasing Parish Visibility – Good signage, a clear, informative, and welcoming website, open houses, usage of social media and local media outlets and other ways of ensuring that anyone looking for an Orthodox Church knows where to find you.
- Mochas for Missions – Formerly known as Pennies & Prayers, this campaign is a main source of funding for C.O.M.E., and a way of getting people involved in the Metropolis effort to fulfill the Great Commission. It also provides an opportunity to educate the parish about what C.O.M.E. does to establish new parishes, mentor those that are poised for growth and support local Missions and Evangelism efforts.
- Bookstore – More Orthodox Christian literature is available now than ever before. Reading the lives of the Saints, commentaries on Scripture, counsels of Saints and elders and explanations about the Orthodox spiritual life can make a life-changing impact on the parish members.
- Outreach Events – These efforts include everything from offering church tours at the parish festival, to presenting speakers well-known to people outside the community. This would include other Evangelistic Ministry unique to your parish.