The Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Missions & Evangelism Ministry was founded in 1991 by Metropolitan Anthony of blessed memory and a group of lay leaders. It was originally named the Commission for Orthodox Missions & Evangelism, C.O.M.E., and led by founding board president Catherine Lingas.
The Great Commission: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” – Matthew 28:19-20
To aid in and develop an Orthodox practice of evangelism and mission by opening doors, preparing soil, and casting nets for our parishes and their parishioners.
- Educate our priests and parishes on the current reality of the American mission field
- To continually be in a place of humble learning and passing on that information to our priests and parishes, both positive and negative.
- Equip our priests and parishes with resources for evangelism and catechism
- Discerning the evangelical/missional needs of our parishes and providing practical resources to meet those needs, such as, potentially, liturgy guides, welcoming/greeting classes, online catechism courses, etc.
- Engage our priests and parishioners via workshops and conferences
- Providing in-person and online workshops/conferences to learn about evangelism and mission as well as meeting like minded individuals.
- Evolve our current missions into self-sustaining parishes
- Giving resources and time in the cultivation of our mission parishes so they never feel that they are alone.
- Establish both the formation of new missions and new priests
- Developing practical ways to establish new missions as well as provide priests for those missions.
Ministry Team & Funding
His Eminence Metropolitan Gerasimos chairs a Ministry Team that includes clergy and lay leaders, including two part-time Consultants.
The Missions & Evangelism Ministry’s work is funded primarily by parish and individual donations, and from the Sts. Katherine and George Mission Endowment Fund of the Metropolis of San Francisco.